The Regeneron Westchester Science & Engineering Fair
Saturday, March 18th, 2023
November 21st 2022 – Student Online Registration Opens
Registration will take place using zFairs, teachers must register first and then work directly with their students to register them one at a time using the link that was provided to teachers only. Students should NOT register on their own. Student registration for WESEF 2023 is $60 per student.
December 8th, 2022 – Online Registration Closes
Online registration closes for project registration; this should be completed WITH your teacher. No additional students may be added after this date.
December 15th, 2022 – Student Paperwork Deadline
Students are responsible for uploading their own forms and paperwork ONLINE in order to qualify for Regeneron WESEF 2023. Students must use the zFairs platform to determine which forms will be needed for your project and upload signed PDF files for all required forms. All student paperwork must include the WESEF Abstract, Research Paper, and Research Plan. Please double-check that you have uploaded the correct documents.
This is also the deadline for WESEF payment for Registration Fees. Student registration for WESEF 2023 is $60. Please check with your teachers to determine if your school is covering this fee or if you are responsible.
Checks ($60 per student ) for registration fees should be mailed to: Stephanie Peborde Burke, WESEF Treasurer, PO Box 1373, Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
Any student that has chosen the optional, extended deadline (1/15/2022) MUST still submit forms 1, 1A, 1B and the research plan by the 12/15/2022 deadline. In addition, the fee for the optional, extended deadline ($160 = $60 registration fee + $100 late fee) must also be submitted by 12/15/2022!!
January 15th, 2023 – Optional LATE Deadline
Optional LATE Deadline for final registrant paperwork (must have pre-paid $160). This includes student research paper, official abstract form and any additional project specific forms. All paperwork must be received by this date. Failure to submit necessary paper work will result in a disqualification without refund.
Any student that has chosen the optional, extended deadline (1/15/23) MUST still submit forms 1, 1A, 1B, research plan and payment for the optional, extended deadline ($160) by 12/15/2022!
PROJECT SET UP
March 17th, 2023 – Regeneron WESEF 2023 – Project Set up
All projects must be set up between 4:30 – 7:30pm. Tables with project numbers will be provided informing you where you should set up your project. Please do NOT make any changes to the floor plan. In the event that you cannot set up your own project during this time, it is allowed for someone else (friend, teacher, parent) to set up your project for you during this time window. Any project that is not fully set up by 7:30pm will be disqualified from WESEF 2023.
All materials which you plan to display MUST be set up this evening. The only exception being technology such as laptops, tablets, etc… which should be brought on the day of the fair. We will have staffed security overnight.
REGENERON WESEF FAIR DAY
March 18th, 2023 – Regeneron WESEF 2023 – Day of Fair!
8:30am – Judges and Students arrive.
- All Students should go into the main entrance of Somers HS and proceed to the auditorium.
- Students are strongly encouraged to be dropped off and/or car pool as there will not be enough parking spots for all of the 400 judges, the 50 teachers and the nearly 600 students.
9:00am – Student Orientation in the Auditorium
- 9:15am – Judge Welcoming Remarks at Somers HS.
Students will proceed to their posters in either Somers HS or Primrose Elem. Student attendance will be taken at their posters.
9:30am – Judging Sessions begin
- Any student not at their poster when the judging starts at 9:30 will be disqualified from participating.
- There will NOT be any Wi-Fi access for students at Somers High School or Primrose Elementary School.
- Projects will likely have five individual official judge interviews.
- The students should be prepared to give a seven minute summary of their research. Judges are then permitted 5 minutes for Q&A.
- There will be official judging periods, indicated by a tone which will signal the start and finish of each judging session.
- Judges will then have an 8 minute window to score rubrics and move to the next poster.
- In some cases, Special Awards Judges will also meet with and interview students
- Under no circumstances should a Judge review a student project for which there may be a conflict of interest. Judges are asked to recuse themselves from any projects where they do not feel they can fairly assess a student project.
11:00am – 3:00pm Judge Lunch will be provided in the Cafeteria, judges can choose to take a break during this time but must complete all judging assignments as soon as possible.
- Student Lunch (bag) will be available starting around 11:30
- There will be an area in the lobby/commons of each school where students can pick up their bagged lunch
- Students should pick up their bagged lunch and bring it back to their poster area where they can eat in between judging sessions
- There will be vegetarian/vegan and gluten free options for ONLY those that indicated their preference when registering
- Students are encouraged to bring snacks, a water bottle, and/or their own lunch in addition to the WESEF-provided lunch
3:00pm – Judging Sessions finishing up
3:00 – 4:30pm – Public Viewing Session.
- Parents, siblings, friends are invited to see all of the posters and talk to the students about their projects during this time period.
- Students MUST be at their poster from 3:00 – 4:30 for the public open house in order to be eligible to win an award.
- During this time, it is possible that Special Awards Judging and Tie Breaking will still be occurring.
4:30 – 5:00pm – Project Breakdown and Clean up.
- Poster and all materials must be removed
- Any materials that are left at Somers HS or Primrose Elementary School will be disposed of.
- We need everyone’s help breaking down and cleaning up the gym starting at 4:30.
- Teachers, students, parents – we would really appreciate your help with folding and moving the tables.
REGENERON WESEF AWARDS CEREMONY
March 23rd, 2023 – Regeneron WESEF 2023 AWARDS CEREMONY
The WESEF Awards Ceremony will take place at Somers High School, Somers, NY. Invitations will be sent out during the week prior to the ceremony. Students may bring one guest.
Doors will open at 6pm.
Award Ceremony to begin at 7pm.
May 13th – 19th, 2023 – Regeneron International Science & Engineering Fair 2023 – Dallas, Texas
The top 15-20 highest scoring projects will be selected to represent our region at the Regeneron International Science & Engineering Fair (ISEF) which will be held this year in Dallas, Texas. Special thanks go to our generous sponsors who have made this all expenses paid opportunity possible!